Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Church that Feeds the Community

Last Thursday, Bob (my husband), and I helped to prepare and serve the Zion weekly community meal.  Since it was Thanksgiving Day, I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough people to help with the set-up, serving, and clean-up.  As usual, the good folks of Zion reminded me of their commitment to being "the church that feeds the community." 

The buffet table was filled with delicious dishes including all the traditonal ones.  There were plenty of people to do all the tasks required to serve the community friends that came.  In fact, there were so  many helpers that some didn't have a lot to do.  Wow!  When I think of how many hands were involved in doing God's work that day and for all of our food ministries, I am overwhelmed with gratitude to God for gifting this congregation with these gifts of service. 

Tonight, the Congregation Council members have prepared and will serve the community meal.  It's time for me to go over to the church and help out.  My contribution of cornbread was baked last evening.  Chili, salad and desserts were prepared by other Zion leaders.  We'll be working side by side to feed all who come for a hot, delicious meal.  What a blessing it is to be part of this community of faith and service!  I am humbled to be serving as pastor with the people of Zion.  Pastor JMe

No comments:

Post a Comment